Advent Calendar 2021
A popular feature on the Advent Calendar is the audio thought for the day. Contributors this year will include bishops, priests, religious, laity, staff of the councils and agencies of the Irish Bishops’ Conference, as well as primary, secondary and college students. The 2021 Advent Calendar will also include:
– Mass Readings and Saint of the Day;
– Family prayers;
– Advent videos: blessing of the crib in the home, blessing of the advent wreath in the home;
– Words of hope and consolation from Pope Francis;
– Acts of kindness in the family, school and parish;
– Suggestions to make Christmas more sustainable so as to care for our common home;
– Seasonal prayers;
– Resources for Advent including books and music;
– Advent events in dioceses and parishes;
– Information on Trócaire’s life-changing Gifts of Love for 2021 as well as special appeals to help families in need.
· To add this year’s Advent Calendar to your website or social media pages please use the following link: www.catholicbishops.ie/
The first day of Advent heralds the beginning of the Catholic Church’s new year. Advent (from ‘ad-venire’ in Latin or “to come to”) is the Church season encompassing the four Sundays and weekdays leading up to the celebration of Christmas. Advent is a time of spiritual preparation for the Lord’s coming at Christmas. Advent also prepares us for the second coming of Christ at the end of time.
We are delighted to be bringing you our Digital Advent Calendar again this year. It will go live on the First Sunday of Advent on 28 November 2021.
Now in its eighth year, our Digital Advent Calendar is offering resources for the parish, school and the home which are available behind a virtual door each day during the Season of Advent. Behind each door there will be content aimed at assisting people to pray and to reflect on how best we can keep Christ at the centre of our Christmas preparations during this special liturgical season.
The theme of the Advent Calendar this year is Hope. It has been a difficult year for so many people as we faced the ongoing consequences of a global pandemic. We are inviting people to journey with us this Advent Season by #SharingHope through acts of kindness and charity that all of us are encouraged to undertake during the month of December.
We hope you will join us again this year through the Season of Advent.
Note: The virtual doors above cannot be opened ahead of their actual date. All content will go live in the early hours of each morning.