• on 22nd April, 2021

First Holy Communion and Confirmation Update: 22nd April 2021


22 April 2021

Dear Father,

I am aware that some parishes have been pressed to consider setting dates for the
celebration of the sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation. I am
writing to confirm that no dates should be proposed by parishes, even provisionally,
for such celebrations.

We have yet to receive clarification about the circumstances under which a return to
public worship will be permitted under public health guidelines, However, apart from
such specific guidelines, we must be cognisant of the foreseeable risks of social
gatherings which typically follow such celebrations.

Following clarification of the public health requirements, I will issue guidelines
regarding when celebrations of the sacraments may be held. It is likely that it will be
necessary to postpone until the autumn at least some celebrations which would
otherwise take place over coming weeks.

In the meantime, I encourage you to continue to engage with and accompany families

on the journey of preparation towards celebration of the sacraments, even as they may
have to be delayed for a time.

With kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

+Dermot Farrell
Archbishop of Dublin


Image by 6361777 from Pixabay

Please share our content in any way you can....


  1. I think Autumn for first Holy communion and confirmation is more sensible

    1. Should have been performed in sept and split over 3 or 4 days. At this stage they may leave it till may. June
      Dresses prob wont fit.
      They could also perform it in the schools. Children are losing interest

Leave your comment

Please enter your name.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Please enter comment.
Skin Color
Layout Options
Layout patterns
Boxed layout images
header topbar
header color
header position