The Season of Creation has a special significance for the Catholic Church, particularly since Pope Francis established 1st September as an annual World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation.
The Season of Creation or Creation Time, is marked throughout the Christian world 1st September—4th October (Feast of St. Francis of Assisi) and celebrates the joy of creation as well
as encouraging awareness-raising initiatives to protect the natural environment.
What can we do to care for our common home?
1. Check out the Faith Community Pollinator plan and think about how you could implement this in your church grounds
2.Shop wisely. Buy Fairtrade and buy locally made products when possible.
3. Avoid waste. Reduce, reuse, recycle, recover, treat.
4. Learn how to read your energy bills and make your home more energy efficient.
5. Explore the use of renewable energy in your home, business and school, parish buildings (www.seai.ie).
6. Participate in the Think Before You Flush campaign www.thinkbeforeyouflush.org and display the ‘Dirty Dozen’ posters in toilets in your parish buildings.
7. Consider installing water butts in your gardens.
8. Pray in and with nature – Encourage Laudato Si’ themed gardens in your parish.
9. Volunteer your time in some creative project. Join an existing group.
10. Offer a welcome to newcomers where you live.